Rippon Energy Facility Inc., owned by Torch Clean Energy based in Charlottesville, has applied to the WV Public Service Commission (PSC) to be designated an essential utility. What this means is they are seeking to bypass Jefferson County Planning and Zoning jurisdiction through this application. Along with this, they will become an EXEMPT wholesale generator.
If NO protest to this application is received, Rippon Solar will not have any duty to provide for public input or regulations that citizens of this County have fought so hard for, and no future protest may be allowed. And we will be stuck with another 878 acre industrial solar facility that will benefit the citizens of Jefferson County and WV in NO way. Jefferson County is just a launching pad for this company to sell whatever energy is accumulated to a market for the eastern seaboard.
To submit protest online. Click on the link below:
1. Select “formal case”
2. Agree to the terms
3. Search by case number: 22-0998-E-SCS-PW
4. Click on “comment”
5. If you protest, select “I protest this case”
6. In the comment section: all that is needed is why you, as a resident of Jefferson County, protest this case and that you demand a hearing be held locally. For example, I wrote: “As a resident of Jefferson County, I protest this application based on the size and location of the project. I further demand that a hearing be held in Jefferson County”.
7. Fill out the contact information and submit the comment.
8. Check your email and verify your address so your comment is confirmed.
If no substantial protest is given ASAP, PSC will waive the hearing and issue a decision.
Thank you to the community member who shared this information with us!